What you Need to Know about Boiler Repairs
A boiler is a plumbing and heating appliance that heats water for the purposes of bathing/showering, cooking, and heating your home. This appliance uses oil, coal, wood, or natural gas to heat the water. The basic components of a boiler are:
- Firebox – combustion chamber where fuel meets the air, creating a flame
- Pressure Gauge – measures pressure inside boiler
- Heat Exchanger – carries heat from burner to water
- Backflow Valve – safety device allowing water to flow in one direction only
- Burner – where air mixes with fuel and combusts
- Expansion Tank – helps protect boiler from excessive pressure
- Return Lines – bring cooled water or steam back into boiler for reheating
- Aquastats – temperature sensors that tell the burner when to start and stop
- Circulator Pumps – push hot water/steam from system to heat distributors
- Supply Lines – pipes that deliver hot water/steam to distribution points
Boiler repairs can be rather complicated. Here are some common issues you may come across if you have a boiler in your home:
- Leaks – Most often caused by a broken internal component. Pressure could be too high, system may not have been fitted properly, pump seal could be worn or in need of replacement.
- No heat/hot water – Diaphragms or airlocks could be broken, motorized valves may have failed, water levels could be too low.
- Pilot light is out – Can be due to a broken thermocouple stopping the gas supply. Drafts can also blow the pilot light out.
- Weird noises – Most likely due to air in the system. Water pressure could also be too low.
- Frozen pipes – Condensate pipes usually run outside, which puts them at risk of freezing when outdoor temperatures are very low.
- Loss of pressure – Could be due to a water leak or bad pressure relief valve. Check pressure gauge and note pressure levels if you feel there is a problem.
- Kettling – Noise similar to a kettle boiling, caused by limescale buildup in the boiler’s heat exchanger. More common in areas with hard water.
Michael Runk Plumbing and Heating is an Eldersburg, MD boiler repair service company with over 20 years of experience in the plumbing and heating industries.
We strive to exceed our customers’ expectations with regard to our experience, expertise, and professionalism.
Contact us today to schedule a boiler repair, or to learn more about the services we provide.