What to Do if the Shower is Leaking
If your shower springs a leak, you’ll likely see water dripping from the faucet valve or the showerhead. Here are some tips for fixing these types of leaks on your own, and how calling a professional plumber can help get the job done right!
Repair a Leaky Shower Faucet Valve:
- Make sure the handle is as far in the “off” position as it can go
- Turn off water valves (located in the bathroom or basement of home). If you can’t find the water valves specific to your shower, shut off the main water valve to your home
- Remove the faucet’s handle by prying off the handle cap and removing the handle screw
- Remove the cartridge (large ring adjacent to wall) with a cartridge puller
- Install a new cartridge
- If the shower faucet still leaks, turn off the water and remove the shower faucet
- Replace the rubber gasket and reattach shower faucet
Repair a Leaky Showerhead:
- Make sure the handle is as far in the “off” position as it can go.
- Turn off water valves (located in the bathroom or basement of home). If you can’t find the water valves specific to your shower, shut off the main water valve to your home.
- Remove the showerhead by unscrewing it from the pipe.
- Check the threads inside the showerhead for a rubber o-ring or plastic washer. Replace parts if worn/missing.
- Clean the showerhead thoroughly.
- Wrap the showerhead’s threads with Teflon tape.
- Reattach the showerhead.
Why It’s Best to Call the Pros When You’ve Got a Leak:
- They are highly trained and experienced in plumbing repair.
- They have access to professional and efficient tools, equipment, and products that the general public may not.
- There may be a bigger plumbing issue that the typical homeowner is unable to notice.
- Plumbing emergencies don’t allow for trial and error, and mistakes due to inexperience can cause more damage.
- Leaks can be very hard to find, and if left untreated can cause high water bills and water damage in your home.
Michael Runk Plumbing & Heating is your local Eldersburg, MD shower repair and plumbing company. We have been in business for over 20 years and pride ourselves on providing prompt and affordable plumbing repair services to our community and surrounding areas. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!