Have you Tested your Sump Pump Lately?
The purpose of a sump pump is to remove accumulated water from the basement of your home in order to prevent flooding and water damage. Like most plumbing fixtures in your home, it’s a good habit to test your sump pump regularly to ensure it’s working properly.
Avoid the Mess
Because we cannot accurately predict the weather, we can never know when to prepare for a big storm. If you don’t test your sump pump regularly, you risk a flooded basement if an unexpected storm occurs.
Winter is a great time to test your sump pump, since snowfall is highly likely. Once the snow melts, the ground becomes saturated with water. The quicker the snow melts, the faster it flows to the basement of your home.
Have an Expert Look at It
It is recommended by professionals that your sump pump be tested and inspected quarterly, or every 3-4 months. General tests should include:
- Unplugging the sump pump and plugging it back in to make sure it starts up properly
- Inspecting of the inlet screen and cleaning it if necessary
- Making sure there is no dirt or debris clogging the drain
- Checking the discharge pipe valve to ensure that no water flows backward through the system
- Checking the strength of the backup power source to the sump pump
- Inspecting the area surrounding the sump pump for proper size and depth
- Running water through the system and inspecting the discharge location to make sure the system is draining properly
Tip: Try not to test your sump pump when there is not water in it. This can damage the motor. If you have to test it with little or no water, only let it run for a few seconds.
In order to ensure that your sump pump is appropriately tested throughout the year, call in the professionals! If you’re concerned with the condition of your sump pump, or if it has failed any home tests you have conducted, consider replacing it before your home is subjected to water damage.
Looking for a professional and reliable sump pump service in Eldersburg, MD? Michael Runk Plumbing and Heating is a locally owned and operated plumber providing sump pump, water, heating, and plumbing services throughout Maryland. For more information about sump pump testing or to set up an appointment for one of our experienced technicians to assess your home or business’ plumbing, contact us today.